iPhone often surprises us with what it can do. Did you know these basic tips and tricks which can make your life so much easier?
I have compiled 10 tips and tricks of iPhone that you may not be aware of. These will certainly make your life easier for sure.
1. Arrange the applications to make your screen less crowded
This is one of the most common iPhone tips and tricks that many of us might be aware of. If not, then do not worry as I will help explain this with the help of a video too.
For example, if you use lots of video streaming services like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, etc., you may want to group them in one place.
- Long press any of the applications, you will see all the icons will begin to shake and a delete sign will appear next to all the app icons. Also, a Done sign will appear at the top right-hand side of the iPhone screen.
- Hold one of the App icons, for example, Netflix, and drag it close to another similar application, say, Amazon Prime Video.
- Both the icon will group and form inside one small box.
- Your phone will automatically rename it as Entertainment, I guess some AI working in the background. But there are times when the applications you are trying to group do not belong to any obvious category, you can then rename it.
2. Scan documents and save them as PDF
You can scan any documents like restaurant bills, utility bills, school assignments, notice boards, books, notes, and many more, using your iPhone. And to do this you do not need to install any third-party applications. All this can be done using the iPhone Notes app.
- Open a new Notes page.
- At the bottom of the page, you will see a camera icon. Select it.
- You will get three options, Choose Photo or Video, Take Photo or Video, and Scan Documents.
- Select Scan Documents and it will open the camera app. The interface will be different that will scan the document you are pointing the camera to and will automatically resize it from the edges.
- The output will be a clean scanned PDF document.
- You can then save the document on your device or iCloud or share it on email.
3. Use your iPhone as a magnifying glass
With iOS 15, a new feature has been added. This app is called the Magnifier.
- Open the Magnifier App, if you cannot find it then search using iPhone search by simply pulling the screen down with your fingers, you will get a search box.
- If you still cannot find it, then make sure your iOS version is minimum version 15. When writing this article it is iOS 15.2.
- Use the slider to zoom the subject you are trying to magnify.
4. Use iPhone as a Level tool
This is one amazing feature of iOS which I use often. No need to search for the hardware toolbox for the level tool in times of need. Just use your iPhone to measure.
- Search for Measure app.
- There will be two options at the bottom. Measure and Level.
- Select Level and keep your phone on the surface you want to check.
- To make sure the surface is flat, ensure the reading is 0 degrees. The entire screen will turn green when it is flat.
5. The Measure app
With the Measure app, you can measure the length of any object with the closest accuracy.
- Open the Measure app as explained in the above section.
- The app opens with the camera ON. You can use it to scan the surface or object you want to measure.
- Choose the start point and endpoint of the object you want to measure.
- You get the most accurate measurement in the Metric system (centimeters) and also in inches.
Also read: How to show battery percentage on iPhone
6. Application switcher or closing multiple apps
You can list or cascade all the apps or windows open on your iPhone. You can then choose to select them or close them.
- Swipe up from the bottom of the iPhone screen and hold.
- Or you can also double press the Assistive touch button (the virtual on-screen home button).
- All the open app will cascade on the screen.
- Swipe left or right to access the app.
- To close the app simply swipe the app up.
7. Print to PDF from iPhone
The Share button is located at the bottom of the Safari and other App’s screens. Select the Share button followed by the Print option to save the webpage as a PDF.
A more detailed review was done in this article: Print to PDF on iPhone
- Open the Webpage or App page which you want to print.
- Select the Share button, located at the bottom of the screen.
- Choose the Print option, you may have to scroll down a little.
- If there are multiple pages, you can select which ones to print or select Print to print all pages.
- You will then get the save option. You can select ‘Save to Files’, which will take you to your device, or the iCloud option to save the file. Select the preferred location and save your PDF.
- You may also choose to send the PDF to anyone on email by selecting the Mail icon.
8. The new Weather map
With the new weather app, you can do more. You can now check the Temperature, Precipitation, and Air Quality of any area on the Weather map.
The map is color graded to indicate high and low. You can also see the Precipitation (rainfall) prediction for the next 12 hours.
9. Focus app allows you to be more productive
With the iOS 15 upgrade, a new feature has been introduced, Focus. With this feature, you can turn on the Focus mode on your iPhone, like Sleep, Do Not Disturb, Work, and personalized Focus too. When you activate Focus you can choose if you want to receive notification, if yes then from which contacts. Which app can be allowed in this duration and which app will be disabled.
Although, with Focus you need to exercise your mind and willpower. Without that this app is of no use, as it is up to you to turn off focus or force allow the restricted app in the focus duration.
10. Copy number from picture
Imagine you see an advertisement or a poster with a phone number on it and you want to call that number immediately or later. You can take a picture using your iPhone and then manually type it to call or refer back and forth to the photo for the complete number.
Now with iOS 15, it makes your task more simple by simply copying the number from the picture and calling directly. Aren’t these amazing iPhone tips and tricks?
More on iPhone Tips and Tricks
- Record screen on iPhone
- Capture screenshot on iPhone
- Show battery percentage on iPhone
- Screen mirroring on TV
- Siri is now available in your local language.
- Add more dictionaries for your local language.
- Categorize your SMS
- Copy and paste using three fingers, pinch using three fingers to copy and release/open to paste.
- Switch to a different Safari tab by just a swipe to left or right.
There are many more which I would like to discuss at another time for sure. Hope this article helps you bring more out of your iPhone. If you like this or you have to share something you find cool in your iPhone, then please tell us in the comment section.