Google Docs is a web-based word processor provided by Google Inc. You can create or edit a new document on google docs and share it over the internet. Google made the unique selling point for Google Docs on its sharing capability across any platform. As it’s stored in the cloud, the accessibility is global throughout the internet medium. It can be accessed through an internet browser and doesn’t require additional software installation.
How to Create an Account in Google Docs?
To create an account in Google Docs, you need an active internet connection.
- Open any browser and browse the following URL: https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/. This will load the homepage for Google Docs.
- Click on the Get Started button located on the right side of the home screen. A registration page will appear. Here you need to provide your email address, a preferred password.
- A captcha verification will also need to be completed and hit the Create my Account button located at the very bottom of the registration page.
- You will receive a verification link shortly in your email. Once you click on the verification link received in your email, your Docs account will be ready to use.
How to Login into Google Docs?
- You first need to go to Google drive by browsing https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/my-drive.
- You will get a New option in the left side pane. Once you click on the New Option, it will list several Google features and options.
- Select Google Docs from the listed menu options. Select this, it will give you two options as follows: Create a new Blank document and create a document from the template.
- You can choose either of these options to start a new Google Document.
- In addition, if you want to upload an existing document into Google Docs, select the settings icon located in the right-hand pane and check the option: ‘Convert uploaded files to Google Docs editor format.’
- This option will convert any word document into Google docs editor format. Once done, you can drag the existing document into Google Drive and open it in the Google Docs editor window.
- Another option to create a Google Doc is to browse the following URL: https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/.
- This will open only the Google Docs application, and here you can start a blank Google document or use a document template from Template Gallery.
Let us see the different components
You will get the following Menu Items at the top of a new Google Documents for formatting and editing:
The file menu contains several submenu items which deal with the file operation and changes. The first submenu available under file is ‘Share’ This option gives the privilege to share the document instantly with several users through an email address. You can use the ‘open’ submenu to open an existing Google Docs. Also, you can use the “New” submenu to create a new Google Docs.
Using “Make a Copy,” you can replicate the same document into a new one. Using the ‘Email’ option, you can directly attach this file to an email. You can use the ‘Download’ submenu to get additional features of other word processing tools like Microsoft Word, Rich text format, PDF format, etc. By using the ‘Rename’ option, you can rename the document. And by using the submenu ‘Move to Trash’, you can even delete the document.
Edit menu helps to modify the document. You will get submenus for ‘cut,’ ‘copy,’ and ‘paste.’ This also provides features for Redo and Undo.
The view menu helps to give a snap view for the print layout. It also provides some submenus which help to get the ruler position, equation toolbar, or screen breaks.
The insert menu primarily works to insert an image, a chart, table, a horizontal line, Special Characters, Equations, Heads and Footers, Page Numbers, Hyperlinks, page breaks, and comments with various submenu items.
The format menu is used for formatting the text to bold, italic, or underline. We can also manage alignment and indent with a submenu located under the Format menu. We can also format the page numbers, ‘Header and Footer’ section of the document.
The tools menu primarily works to check the grammar and spelling of document contents. We can also make a word count, translate the document to a different language, including the scripting and even voice typing, by using several submenu items under the Tools menu.
We can use the add-ons menu to include some add-on features into the google docs for more rich formatting and designing.
There is also a default toolbar located at the top of the Google Docs with several quick formatting icons, the same as Microsoft word. Every quick icon also has a hotkey embedded which helps for faster typing. Several frequently used features like alignment, indentation, Test style, size, creating a bullet point can be easily accessible from the quick access toolbar.
What are the Benefits of Google Docs?
- Google docs is a web-based word processor which stores in the cloud. This is very lightweight and can work with minimum system configuration. It just needs a browser and an active internet connection.
- It saves the storage cost and location as it gets stored automatically under the Google cloud. The save option is auto-enabled; hence any modification gets saved instantly without any additional action.
- The other important feature provided by Google Docs is its capability of sharing. As it’s stored in cloud space, it can be shared with multiple users simultaneously. All the recipients can see the updates instantly, which gives extreme flexibility for users located at various geographical locations.
- Also, if multiple users work on the same Google document, then they can make their changes simultaneously on the same word document. This enables an exclusive feature for a team or group of people to have better accessibility and team collaboration.
- Google docs are comparatively more reliable for writing a technical document which includes anchoring tag and scripting. It provides an out of feature to include some scripting language with default IDE and artificial intelligence. Also, the comment feature is beneficial for this technical writing.
- By adding a comment, we can tag a person from the google contact list and send a notification to review a specific section of the document. The tagged person will automatically be notified by email and prompted to review the comments.
- In addition, the charting capability is wide and consists of several modern techniques of charts and graphs. This chart and graph feature gives the capability for a comparative study within a group of people.
Most of these latest feature combinations are difficult to get in a single word processor. Several word processors available in the market hold different unique features. In comparison, Google Docs combines them all and comes as a complete package. Several small companies rely upon Google Docs as it saves the storage cost massively and also provides security of cloud technology.
Compared to Microsoft Word, it is far more advanced in terms of unique features. The typing speed is significantly high with auto-suggestions enabled and makes it very user-friendly. The exclusive combination of these additional features makes it unique from the other word processor available today.