In one of the surveys, it was pointed out that one in every 3 people does not know how to turn off iPhone. No that is just a joke, but I know for sure almost all my friends with iPhones do struggle to find the option. After iPhone stopped a direct power button switch off it has become somewhat difficult. And this is a necessary security feature. Imagine you lost your phone and someone easily switches it off and there you have lost any chance to track your iPhone. Instead, it is impossible to switch off the iPhone without unlocking it, unless the power drains. But this duration gives you the time to track your device.
Do I ever need to turn off my iPhone?
That is a great question. There is no correct answer for that. However in my opinion it is, never. Imagine losing your iPhone when it is switched off, it’s a nightmare, no matter how improbable it may sound.
iPhone periodically upgrades the iOS version and it requires an automatic restart. So, if anyone says, switch it off once a month or a few months then that is not required as automatic restart takes care of it. You will not lose anything if you do, so do a restart or turn it off once in a while.
Turn off your iPhone when you are not using it for a long time, or just to give yourself some time away from the gadgets.
Use the Power button to Turn Off your iPhone
In the rare situations when an application stops responding or you really have to turn off iPhone use the side button. It is called the side button and not the power button because it has many other uses, for example locking your phone or activating Siri. This button is placed on top if you are using an older version of the iPhone, which is 6 or below.
For iPhone X/XR, 11, 12, and 13 (phone with Face ID)
- Press and hold the Volume Up or Down button along with the Side button.
- It takes less than 2 seconds and you will get the on-screen slide to power off, SOS, and cancel button.
- Slide to power off your iPhone.
Note: The Volume Up and Side button is also used to take screenshots. If you press them together and leave it would capture the screen. Press and hold them to get to the power-off screen. Or to avoid this, use the down button instead.
For iPhone 8, 7, and later models (phones without Face ID)
Press and hold the side or Sleep/Wake button, for iPhone 7 and 8 models it is on the right side. For other models, the Sleep/Wake button is located at the top. Hold it until you get the slider, slide it to turn off.
How to Turn Off iPhone without the Power button
As I mentioned before when your iOS gets upgraded your device automatically restarts. That apart there are two more ways to turn off your iPhone.
1. Shut down from Settings
- Tap the Settings icon on your iPhone screen.
- Select General option
- Scroll down, you will find Shut down right at the bottom of the page.
- After you tap on Shut down you will get the slider to power off your iPhone
2. Restart your iPhone using Assistive touch
Assistive touch is great to have on your iPhone screen, it makes your life so easier. If you do not have it enabled then, go to Settings then Accessibility and Touch to enable Assistive Touch.
- Tap the Assistive Touch on your screen, looks like a hazy round spot.
- Select Device
- Expand the three dots like icon for More
- You will now see the Restart icon on this sub-menu
- Tap it and your phone will confirm “Are you sure you want to restart your iPhone?”
- Select Restart
To Force Restart iPhone
For iPhone 13, 12, 11, X/XR, 8
- Press the Volume Up button, release
- Press the Volume Down button, release
- Then, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button
- Wait until you see the Apple logo, then release the button
For iPhone 7
- Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button on the side and the Volume Down button
- Wait till you get the power-off screen which says, slide to power off.
Older models iPhone 6s, 6, 5
If you are using an older version, iPhone 6 and below, press and hold the Home button and the power button is at the top. Press and hold them until you see the Apple logo.
A short video on how to turn off iPhone
How to turn your iPhone back on?
If you are restarting then do not do anything. Wait for the device to reboot and come back to the lock screen.
Press and hold the power button on the right side if you had completely shut down your iPhone. Give it a few seconds and you should see the Apple icon appear.
When it is at the lock screen, enter the passcode, your face id or touch id will not work if your phone was switched on.
To conserve the battery you can use Low Power mode. This way your phone will be able to save a few more minutes of battery by stopping any unnecessary background activities.
A completely powered-off phone will retain the battery charge for a long time but over time it would lose some battery. Hence, turn off your iPhone when you are not using it for a longer time.